It is a legal requirement for accurate attendance recording by schools. In cases of legal inquiry it is the teacher who has to respond as to whether or not a child was present in his/her class at a given time. Parents are required to provide an explanation of their child’s absence to the school within three days of the absence and this is recorded and/or followed up by the school.
Students are expected to attend on all school days. Parents are required to advise the school early in the day if a child is absent through:
- Absentee Hotline: 6241 5097 (for messages only), or
- 6241 5056 (from 8.00am to speak to a Student Support Officer, or
- SMS only on 0408 928 964 (24 hours), or
- Email: Duncraig.SHS.email@example.com , or
- In person at the School Administration Office.
Late to school
- Students who arrive at school between 8.40am and 8.50am, are to report to their timetabled class, the classroom teacher will record the Late Arrival on SEQTA.
- When a student arrives after 8.50am, he/she must report to Student Services to sign in. Students should bring a note or have their parents call/ sms/email to explain why they are late.
Please contact the school to verify or query your child’s absence. If your child is absent, the reason will be entered onto the system. To avoid receiving an SMS, please nofity the school prior to 10.45am.
If no contact has been made and your child is marked absent the following will occur:
- SMS text message sent to your mobile phone at 10.45am and again at 4.00pm
- Non-attendance email sent home at 1.00pm
If a parent is unable to contact the school in advance or respond to the SMS/email, please provide a written note for the student to hand to the Student Support Officers upon return to school.
Consequences are in place for students who arrive late or truant on a regular basis without a valid reason.
Leaving school grounds
Students must not leave school grounds without signing out. If your child needs to leave school, please email, SMS or write a note to be handed in to the Student Support Officers at the Student Services reception desk prior to school or recess or lunch. The Student Support Officer will issue a Department of Education Leave Pass. Consequences will be put in place for students who fail to follow correct procedure.
The school should be notified in advance of planned absences (for example holiday or appointment) by phone, email or a written note. Notes should be handed to a Student Support Officer in Student Services.